Tuesday, October 17, 2006

With sweet understaaaaaandin’….

As I reached for the alarm button this morning, in the empty stage of my mind, a song was swelling, until finally, as I sat up to find pajama top and bottoms, the lyrics were not only forefront in my cobwebby brain, but on the tip of my tongue….

“Suddenly Seymour
is standing beside you
You don’t need no makeup
Don’t need to pretend
Suddenly Seymour
Is here to provide you
With sweet understanding
Seymour’s your friend.”

I love that movie. (Oh gawd, I just imdb’d it…it’s 20 years old…!)

Every time I go to the dentist, I have a flashback to Bill Murray meeting Steve Martin (as Dr. Orin Scrivello…D.D.S.)…“I think I need a root canal. I definitely need a long, slow root canal.”

Didja ever see the original Roger Corman black & white version, with Jack Nicholson? Wacky. No catchy musical numbers. That I recall.

What if Jack Nicholson had made ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ as a musical? They could have called it “Cuckoo!” (with the exclamation point), singing songs like “My Heart Belongs to Nurse Ratched”, and “I’m N-N-N-N-ot Crazy”.

The Tall Guy” is a funny little movie with Emma Thompson, Rowan Atkinson, and Jeff Goldblum, wherein the latter stars in a West-End musical based on the life of John Merrick, the Elephant Man. The musical is called, of course, “Elephant!” (with the exclamation point). Unfortunately, I’ve taken to creating fantastical musical numbers in my head when faced with horrendous real-life news stories. “Tsunami!” “Columbine!” “Amish!” It’s a coping mechanism, to be sure, as I just can’t deal with terrible real-life drama. I’m sure there’s a special kind of hell for folks like me.


So, let's see…Little Shop of Horrors...Jack Nicholson...big-budget Broadway musicals named after disasters...that, dear bloggers, is where my head is at today. Where's yours?

11 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL interesting mix there. I do wonder what else goes on in that head? :)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Lordy, you're all over the place. But great places. Movie places. Me, I can't find my head this morning. I left it somewhere between the diaper pail and the canner, or maybe its buried in that pile of laundry I got to do. Hmmm, sometimes I leave stupid things in the fridge, I'll check there....

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Do you know that Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, is being made into a MAJOR MOTION PICTURE?

And who, you might ask, is going to be SWEENEY TODD himself?

JOHNNY DEPP.

I am full of capital letters today.

But I'll be first in line to taste one of Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

sanjay: It's definitely not rated G, PG, or PG-13!

maggie: check your pockets too, that's where I leave things, like keys, and money, and small children....

rose: I'd watch Johnny Depp on the toilet...that's how much I lurve him. I'll betcha $5 they think about calling it 'Sweeney!', with the exclamation point....

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Daddy left early, Momma was poor..."

A while back I was in my neighborhood gay bar, and it happened to be kareoke night, and a couple happened to choose this song. This thrust the entire bar into a SUDDENLY SEYMOUR BATTLE, as the first act was followed by no less than *three* more duets of Suddenly Seymour. It was stuck in my head for weeks. Then today I turned on bloglines and there you have it...I think it may be stuck in my head forever.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Mr. Don said...

Trivia: Name another movie musical that was made from a play that was made from a movie?

No doubt tha Ellen Greene made that song more than it was. The woman has a set of pipes to die for.

I think that imagining life as a musical is fine, as long as it only stays in your head. It probably menas that you are terminally happy. :-)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Lucia said...

Soon you can work on "Elections!"

My head is Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well...where it usually is.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Orange said...

"Sinuses!"

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Elliot said...

Thanks for reminding my head to slow down and think about something fairly coherant because, usually, my mind just whips me with flashes of images like hubcaps and cat paw swipes and sounds like bubbling and crinkling.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

My head is now singing OKLAHOMA!

Damn broadway musicals. They're always getting stuck in my brain.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

AMISH! Too soon!! You're terrible...I loves ya. And that's tough titty, kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home